Total Pageviews

Friday, July 26, 2013

RV LED Light Bulb Booth at Winnebago's Grand National Rally

I had a very interesting conversation with Kelly Walterscheid at the RVLED Bulb Booth..  He is an Electronic Engineer who has made LED lighting his life since 2002.  LED technology and semiconductors were in development in the 1960s. Circuit boards are important to the LED.  Commercial use started shortly afterward.  The cost per LED was high... $130.00 for a single bulb.  By the late 1990s, LEDs became widely available.


Kelly continues to innovate LED applications.  He has created lighting to meet industrial and farming needs. Improving interior LED lighting continues to be a passion.

In telling me about earlier work to "create a better LED," Kelly told me of his collaborations with Sam Penny.  Sam is a retired Physicist and the Prudent RVer.

While researching Kelly online, I found a forum post by Mike Putz on RVLED Bulb, touring the factory and making a group purchase of bulbs for RVs.  I was impressed with the research that Mike and his RV group did on competing LED bulbs.  His description and photos of the factory tour were great!  I was pleased to find out that Kelly discounts large group purchases for buyers.

I'm glad I met Kelly.  Our brief conversation was packed with information.  Talking with Sam brought home the point that physics is integral to LED development.  Mike's forum post on his experiences with Kelly and his products reinforced my experience with Kelly.

LED lighting is available for homes too.  The electric consumption of LED is a considerably less than incandescent and CFL bulbs. Smaller electric bills are always welcome.


No comments: